Pages

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Look Who's Talking (Point of View)

In the past I've always considered teaching point of view difficult.  I always felt like my students were giving me the blank look.  This year I was determined to help them understand "who is talking". My quest included calling on the expertise of my favorite graphic designer who happens to be my twin sister and best friend.  She is the mother of a special needs child, former teacher, and a design genius.

Together we created a poster and titled it "Look Who's Talking".  It has helped make teaching point of view a breeze.

Look Who's Talking Point of View Poster

First, I sent a PDF of the poster to a local print shop to be enlarged in color.  The poster is displayed in my classroom at a level where students can use it easily.


In addition to the poster, I made black and white copies for each student to place in their interactive writing journals. We glued the mini posters into our notebooks and used them to discuss, highlight and take notes right on the poster.

During class today we began a review of point of view for this semester.  I've included the lesson below:

  1. Student's opened their interactive writing journal and reviewed the poster by themselves.
  2. Next students "taught" 1st, 2nd, and 3rd person to a partner.
  3. We shared and discussed the different points of view (key words, examples).
  4. Miss Ohmart, our student teacher, read text selections from 3 books.  After each selection Miss Ohmart would direct the students to show her what point of view the text was written in.  The students would indicate the appropriate point of view by raising 1 finger for 1st person, 2 fingers for 2nd person, and 3 fingers for 3rd person.
  5. Next the students were given text selections to read and label 1st, 2nd, or 3rd person.
  6. Finally, students read an independent reading selection and wrote on a sticky note the author's point of view (to be discussed during conferring).

The poster visual helped make understanding point of view easier for my students. They are becoming experts at determining the author's point of view.

I want to give a big shout out and thank you to The Moeller Express for always helping me turn some of my crazy ideas into reality.  Feel free to check out her tpt store and be amazed. She truly has a gift when it comes to graphic design.


No comments:

Post a Comment